[Qgis-user] Can Geoserver use the legends of a QGIS project like qgis server

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Apr 25 07:11:19 PDT 2014

Hi,

If your WMS is from an external source you obviously have no choice -
you have to cascade these layers through WMS.

If we are talking about layers that are under your own control you could
do the cascading from one project to the other either through WMS (in
which case your requests would generate subsequent WMS requests in your
own QGIS server) or you could use the embedded groups/layers feature,
which is faster, and generates only a single WMS request. Obviously this
is faster, if you think about it.

There is a german article on this issue (you can use google translate)
that shows the performance effect. See
http://sogeo.ch/blog/2014/01/29/qgis-server-vs-qgis-server/

I use the embedded layers and groups for most of my base-maps: the
cadastral base map, a scale-series of raster maps and other base-maps
that are used in multiple projects.

It makes sense to have several QGIS projects as "themes" - but the
projects can link to each other (see menu "Layer" -> "Embed layers and
groups"). QWC has a theme-switcher, which is easier than switching
multiple layers. Often, different themes also need different titles and
legends in the print templates.

The "embed layers and groups" is a powerful feature that many QGIS users
aren't aware of. There had been issues in the past with layer order, if
both projects had a user-defined layer order that was different than the
layer order in the legend tree, but this is now mostly fixed in master.

Andreas