[Qgis-user] Points layer from table tool truncating texts

anderso at anlaggarna.se anderso at anlaggarna.se
Wed Dec 3 03:59:47 PST 2014

Thank you for helping out.

Comments below:

> Did you create the layer as a temporary one? So then its stored as an ESRI
> shape and the dbf will not store more characters.

Used temporary before and i understand the problem better now.

> Or did you also try to save it directly into another format which supports
> longer fields (errm, here I'm lost too, cause I do not know most of the
> formats available, but maybe try sqlite)

I've tried "all" possible file-formats that can be selected in the "Points
Layer from Table" tool and it seems like they all store the result like
shape files (using a dbf database file).

Selecting sqlite-format:
sqll.sqlit.dbf
sqll.sqlit.prj
sqll.sqlit.qbj
sqll.sqlit.shp
sqll.sqlit.shx

I'm rather confused here, i expected to find raw files with the selected
format as output?

So this is leading in the direction that i can't use the tool if i want
longer text fields.

Some other ideas (partly evaluated):
- The EVIS database tools seem to support longer strings but have issues
with national characters and fails to add all points "missing georeference
infomation)?
- The "SAGA convert table to points" seems to be missing/removed in QGIS?

> Cheers
> Bernd

Thanks

/AO