[Qgis-user] Cannot open GML files in Qgis 2.6 under Windows

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Dec 4 04:23:54 PST 2014

On 04-12-14 12:47, Andreas Demey wrote:

> - Shapefiles come with .lyr of .avl (old format) files - you know that.
> As far as I know, I cannot use these with Qgis (.qml or .SLD files needed).
> - GML files are an open OGC standard format, and everywhere I find Qgis
> should be able to open them.

Well you can off course open the shapefiles, but you will not have the
same styling as is defined in lyr/avl files. You could off course try to
mimic that style and sent qml files to Geopunt :-)

> When I try to open .gml files, I get a table, no geometry (nothing is
> mapped). I have a windows install of Qgis 2.6. Are there any additional
> plugins or libraries needed to make this work?
> I found in this link (http://www.gdal.org/ogr_formats.html) that read
> support needs Xerces or libexpat. Do these come with Qgis install? How
> can I check wether I have these or how I should install these?

Opening a gml file is the same as opening a shp file, no styling
included. So it is the data you are after, you could get the shp files.

That said, GML is a tricky beast because so much different constructs
are possible, but normally QGIS (or actually OGR) is able to handle a
lot of those.

I tried it with this GML:

https://downloadagiv.blob.core.windows.net/overstromingsgebieden-en-oeverzones/2014_01/Overstromingsgebieden_en_oeverzones_2014_01_GML.zip

And indeed only get tables and no geometries...

BUT if I use ogr to open them:

ogrinfo -al Ogoz.gml

OGRFeature(Ogoz):15
  UIDN (Real) = 16
  OIDN (Real) = 16
  CODOGOZ (Integer) = 16
  NAAMOGOZ (String) = OG Puttenbeek
  NUMAC (Real) = 2014035191
  ININMRID (String) = 20001
  ININMR (String) = Provincie Vlaams-Brabant
  OPPERVL (Real) = 17031.46
  LENGTE (Real) = 969.01
  POLYGON ((138955.079 183000.758,138911.506 182970.395,138897.621
  ... truncated ...
  183007.847,138961.648 183005.335,138955.079 183000.758))

So apparently OGR sees the geometries, but QGIS not ??

Dev's? Any idea about this?
Should we open an issue?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde