[Qgis-user] Cannot open GML files in Qgis 2.6 under Windows

Andreas Demey andreas.demey at ugent.be
Thu Dec 4 03:47:13 PST 2014

Hello,

I am looking into ways to get legend info for data provide by the
Flemish government (agiv download portal) into qgis.
Excuse me if similar questions were asked before, I could nog find much
help in the e-mail archives.

Data is provide in ESRI shapefiles as well as GML files.

- Shapefiles come with .lyr of .avl (old format) files - you know that.
As far as I know, I cannot use these with Qgis (.qml or .SLD files needed).
- GML files are an open OGC standard format, and everywhere I find Qgis
should be able to open them.

When I try to open .gml files, I get a table, no geometry (nothing is
mapped). I have a windows install of Qgis 2.6. Are there any additional
plugins or libraries needed to make this work?
I found in this link (http://www.gdal.org/ogr_formats.html) that read
support needs Xerces or libexpat. Do these come with Qgis install? How
can I check wether I have these or how I should install these?

Thanks in advance!
Andreas Demey