[Qgis-user] MrSID on QGIS 2.6.,1, Mac OSK 10.10.1

Dave Peterson davep at iit.edu
Tue Dec 9 15:06:33 PST 2014

On 7 Dec 14, at 11:03 PM, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:

> Check my site.  The GDAL framework that you should have installed also has a separately downloadable plugin for the MrSID format.
>
> On Dec 7, 2014, at 7:53 PM, Dave Peterson <davep at iit.edu> wrote:
>
>> I need to be able to display MrSID files made available by the state GIS department.  I had them running on QGIS 1.8, OSX 10.6.8, but I’m not sure what I did back then.  Have searched the Web as best I can and haven’t found any instructions for current QGIS with a current OS.  Can anyone help?

Found it; I’m embarrassed.  Took several times to get everything working.  The "VERY IMPORTANT POST-INSTALL" note says:

"Download for OS X 10.7, this should work on all Lion and newer systems (Mavericks is not listed, but either 10.7 or 10.8 SDK should work)"

but the LizardTech website now provides downloads for OS 10.8 and 10.9 .  I couldn’t get the 10.9 version to work properly, but the 10.8 version did fine.  (Of course, that may have been something I was doing wrong with the 10.9 version.)

I made one frustrating discovery:  All of my QGIS 1.8 projects could be read into the new QGIS, but they wouldn’t display the MrSID backgrounds.  I finally discovered that I could get the backgrounds back by manually recreating the raster layers from the original MrSID files.  Sigh.  That probably means reloading a hundred or so raster layers.  But once that’s done....
--
Dave Peterson

davep at iit.edu