[Qgis-user] Mosaicking aerial images

morgan-hesperus morgan at hesperus-wild.org
Thu Dec 11 10:08:52 PST 2014

When I need a blended mosaic of overlapping images, I've had good results
using gdalwarp's -cblend switch, as follows.

1. Open the overlapping images in QGIS.
2. Create a new polygon layer. This is so you can create a masking polygon
for one of the images.
3. Draw a masking polygon whose edge cuts through the overlap area where
you want blending. (The rest of the polygon can be outside the image.)
Save.
4. Go Raster>Extraction>Clipper.
5. Choose Mask layer and select your polygon.
6. If your image has only three bands, check Create alpha band. Don't
check this if your image already has 4 bands.
7. Specify an output file. This cannot already exist.
8. Edit the command line at the bottom to replace the "-clip-to-cutline"
switch with "-cblend 40". The 40 is just a suggestion. It means the new
image will fade to completely transparent across the 40 pixels around the
polygon edge.
9. Hit OK. The image produced will have an alpha channel and fade from
fully opaque to fully transparent along the clipping polygon edge.

- Morgan