[Qgis-user] SAGA toolbox

Mark Coletti mcoletti at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 11:26:56 PST 2014

As a follow up I am having the *exact same problems* on MacOS.  SAGA runs
from the command line without problems, yet cannot seem to run from within
qgis.  This has been an ongoing problem with qgis for the last two versions
on my machine.  Different versions, same problem.  However, I have been
(maybe?) able to resolve this issue.

This is the error dialog:

[image: Inline image 1]

My OS:

$ uname -a
Darwin cervonepd01.geog.psu.edu 11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2: Thu
Aug 23 16:26:45 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.32.7~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

The "Click here" link takes you here:
http://docs.qgis.org/2.0/en/docs/user_manual/processing/3rdParty.html

The first paragraph reads:

SAGA algorithms can be run from QGIS if you have SAGA installed in your
> system and you configure the processing framework properly so it can find
> SAGA executables. *In particular, the SAGA command-line executable is
> needed to run SAGA algorithms.*

I can run SAGA from the command line, so that's not a problem:

$ which saga_cmd
/opt/local/bin/saga_cmd

$ saga_cmd -h
____________________________

   #####   ##   #####    ##
  ###     ###  ##       ###
   ###   # ## ##  #### # ##
    ### ##### ##    # #####
 ##### #   ##  ##### #   ##
____________________________

SAGA Version: 2.1.4

Further down, the same web page states:

If you have installed SAGA yourself (remember, you need version 2.1), the
> path to the SAGA executable must be configured. To do it, open the
> configuration dialog. In the *SAGA* block you will find a setting named *SAGA
> Folder*. Enter the path to the folder where SAGA is installed. Close the
> configuration dialog and now you are ready to run SAGA algorithms from QGIS.

There is no "SAGA block" in the current qgis configuration dialog that I
can see.  FWIW, I'm running qgis 2.6.1-Brighton.  There is a "SAGA"
providers option under "Processing Options," but no where to specify a
"SAGA Folder".

However, checking off the "Enable SAGA 2.0.8 compatibility" in appears to
unwedge the SAGA functionality.  (I.e., Processing -> Options and
configuration -> Providers -> Saga -> "Enable SAGA 2.0.8 compatibility") So
apparently that was the actual problem.