[Qgis-user] Slope aspect curvature

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Sun Dec 28 07:56:38 PST 2014

Hi,
I would use the Grass algorithm or Gdaldem instead.  It is also found in the processing plugin using the batch mode. You can also script it in python but that should not be necessary.
I am not sure about the Saga algorithm, and I am far from a computer but my guess is that your layer CRS is in Long/lat but the z is in meters like the SRTM or Aster GDems giving you different units for x,y and z.
In many cases, that will give you results like those you are getting. You need to adjust the z scale.
This is from gdal:
" slope
This command will take a DEM raster and output a 32-bit float raster with slope values. You have the option of specifying the type of slope value you want: degrees or percent slope. In cases where the horizontal units differ from the vertical units, you can also supply a scaling factor.
The value -9999 is used as the output nodata value.
The following specific options are available :
-p :if specified, the slope will be expressed as percent slope. Otherwise, it is expressed as degrees-s scale:ratio of vertical units to horizontal. If the horizontal unit of the source DEM is degrees (e.g Lat/Long WGS84 projection), you can use scale=111120 if the vertical units are meters (or scale=370400 if they are in feet)"
http://www.gdal.org/gdaldem.html
Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
Les Entreprises Archéotec inc.
8548, rue Saint-Denis Montréal H2P 2H2
Téléphone: 514.381.5112  Fax: 514.381.4995