[Qgis-user] How do I register a Google Map?

Mike Keelan tmike.elhoa at comcast.net
Mon Feb 3 12:28:31 PST 2014

Hi all.

I am new to this program use.  I have the following setup.

  * I'm trying to use Qgis 2.0
  * My PC is with Windows 8 OS

The program downloaded successfully and I'm able to load my .shp and
Ortho layers, all well and good.  Still learning, but .......... Here is
my current problem.

I need to overlay a Google map containing some lake bottom contour
lines.  The file I pulled in as a layer is a .jpg.  I'm able to view
this layer if I zoom to its extent seperatly from the other layers, so I
know it is there.

 1. How do I get this layer in the location I need it to be in relative
    to my other layers?  Looking at the coordinates for this layer
    extent it has defaulted to 0.0 at the upper-left hand corner.  From
    the properties box it will not let me change this info?
 2. If there is a way the register this layer, it looks like the scale
    is about 50% of the size of my other layers.  I got this from using
    the linear measurement tool on both layers.  Is there a way to
    adjust the size of the jpg layer?
 3. In making the above measurements I noticed that the units were given
    in meters even though the coordinate system selected is indicated in
    FT for both layers.  ??

Hope some one can point me in the right direction.

Mike K