[Qgis-user] How do I register a Google Map?

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Wed Feb 5 09:25:05 PST 2014

So I work with Forestry guys and we do some very similar things when
georeferencing. You need a good point spacing - and typically I describe
that as a point at each coner of the image you are going to georeference
plus one for the middle or (sorry for using this example but they have
really good docs) -
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Georeferencing_a_raster_dataset

If it were me I would do this:
1. go to USDA Datagateway - http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/ - and
download a NAIP image of your Area (sorted by county). It will be sid
format (probably) - so if you are on windows you should be OK for
opening up the image.
2. Use that to georeference the Google earth Screenshot. It will give
you a lot more control points than just your GPS.

  * GPS can be notorious for not quite being right if you didn't way
    point average - my forestry guys GPS property corners and that makes
    me not happy every time they do it.
  * Both Google and Bing are good and the open layers plugin rocks - but
    - both image layers aren't captured (at least to me) with mapping in
    mind - i.e. they may be questionable.

OR

1. Download the GPX data from your unit using either QGIS or DNR GPS
2. Convert to shapefile.
3. Create your contours there using a new shapefile (digitize them in
again).

I know I just glassed over a ton of technical by doing a 1 2 3 type
scenario but I think (just my opinion) there's more hair pulling than
you need to be experiencing (For the record I'm bald so I know all about
hair pulling).

Yell if you need more help either off list or on list - I hope some of
this at least pushes you in a good direction.

Randy

Randal Hale, GISP
North River Geographic Systems, Inc
http://www.northrivergeographic.com