[Qgis-user] editing for polygons

Kevin Caldwell mtssea at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 15:53:36 PST 2014

Hi,
A new user here and having some issues editing (reshaping mostly) polygons.  These are generally polygons that abut each other within large property boundaries and which represent various forested or wetland habitat types, as well as smaller 'island' (or ring?) polygons that represent small pools, seeps, or rock outcrops (etc).   I am having good success w/ the reshape tool, but I can't seem to:

1) move vertices (such as enlarging or reshaping the boundaries of a pool)  - when I do so the former boundary lines still seem to show rather than the space moving out wider without lines showing...the help online doesn't seem to clarify this.   Perhaps when I save the layer edits that will change but I'm nervous to do that and wreck the original shape.

2) select two or more polygons / features and then merge them into a single polygon.  This seemed to be easy in ESRI's GIS but I"m clearly not doing something right...maybe I'm just overlooking something.

Does this perhaps relate to not setting a snapping tolerance for the project (or layer?)

KTC