[Qgis-user] Digitizing a doughnut.

Spencer Gardner spgardner at HNTB.com
Fri Feb 14 12:08:23 PST 2014

I think you're probably looking for the "Add Ring" editing option. You can draw the outside boundary of the donut as a new feature, select the new feature, and choose Add Ring to draw the interior boundary. The operation will cut out the hole that you draw inside the selected feature.

[cid:image001.png at 01CF298E.38484930][cid:image002.jpg at 01CF298E.38484930]

-----Original Message-----
From: qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of ELHOA
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 10:21 AM
To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: [Qgis-user] Digitizing a doughnut.

Hello list,

Using a polygon .shp layer with a opaque fill I have always had to leave a thin sliver of unfilled space between the inner edge and outer edge of any area where I have an inner area that I do not want to fill.  Ie a lake with an island.

Is there a better way to handle this?

Mike K

Sent from my iPhone