[Qgis-user] Digitizing a doughnut.

Ramon AndiƱach custard at westnet.com.au
Fri Feb 14 13:50:16 PST 2014

On 15/02/2014, at 24:21 , ELHOA wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Using a polygon .shp layer with a opaque fill I have always had to leave a thin sliver of unfilled space between the inner edge and outer edge of any area where I have an inner area that I do not want to fill.  Ie a lake with an island.
>
> Is there a better way to handle this?
>
> Mike K

I've tended to use this as a temporary stage, just so I can see what's happening. Then I'll use the snapping (Settings -> Snapping Options) to expand the island out to remove the lake.

Note that you can leave the snapping settings dialogue open if you need to regularly make changes, by pressing apply rather than ok.

Of course the revisions of the ring tool due out with 2.2 should make this redundant as you'll be able to make the island at the same time as you make the hole.

Hope that's helpful.
-ramon.

-ramon.