[Qgis-user] QGIS with digitizing board/tablet

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 03:21:03 PST 2014

Tom -

A few pointer to a more productive environment:

  * (As we already agreed upon) No paper maps and digitizers: Scan the
    maps and use a mouse and monitor
  * Get the largest monitor to the digitizing operation your budget will
    allow (24 " or 27" is nice).
  * Whatever you are using QGIS, MapInfo or ArcGis (or whatever): Make a
    row or two with buttons, where the separate button activate some
    kind of desired function when digitizing. The digitizing user should
    not need to go looking for digitizing functionality in obscure
    places in the user interface. Be aware, that the only way to survive
    mind-numbing work as digitizing, is to "switch off" the brain. That
    means you have to design the user interface accordingly.
  * The work-flow should include that the digitizer user always make a
    backup-copy of the original material before starting new digitizing.
  * Save often/early.

It might sound like a lesson "101" (and it is) but a lot of people seem
to forget it.

Regards
Bo Vctor Thomsen
Aestas-GIS