[Qgis-user] Problem with matplotlib in Value Tool on Mac OSX

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 08:29:32 PST 2014

(reported in http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4536, reporting to this list following
suggestion by Etienne)

After installing qgis, gdal and all python modules from kyngchaos on
a mac running 10.9.1, Value tools (0.8.1)  issues the message
"Need QWt>=5.0 or matplotlib >=1.0!

I assumed that pyparsing was included in the matplotlib installed from
kyngchaos, as those
installations are tuned for qgis and R.
Anyway, I installed pyparsing using
sudo /usr/bin/easy_install pyparsing
as suggested by
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/73504/how-to-install-matplotlib-and-pyparsing-correctly-on-osx-lion

Unfortunately, I still get the same message in QGIS/Value Tool.

Nevertheless, if I open a python session on the terminal or in the
python terminal of QGIS, I can run the pyparsing test:

from pyparsing import Word, alphas
greet = Word( alphas ) + "," + Word( alphas ) + "!"
hello = "Hello, World!"
print hello, "->", greet.parseString( hello )

with no error messages.

Agus