[Qgis-user] Random Points - Value from Input Field

Pete Cimbolic cimbolic at aclu-md.org
Sun Feb 23 10:35:30 PST 2014

I am attempting to make a layer with one dot representing each person of a particular race using 2010 census data, similar to this one: http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/

I am trying to figure out why I am able to do this using 2000 Census Tracts, but not 2010 Tracts.  I have joined demographic data to the shape files for both 2000 and 2010 tracts, formatted each the same way, yet when I try to select 2010 census tracts, no fields show up when I click on the “Use value from input field” toggle button under Vector>Research Tools>Random Points.  The fields do show up when I select the 2000 tracts.

Any thoughts?

Pete Cimbolic
cimbolic at aclu-md.org