[Qgis-user] Map Symbols?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Feb 24 18:49:40 PST 2014

Generally if you want to build new markers for QGIS you should use an
SVG editor: Inkscape, Libreoffice Draw, or Illustrator.

If the goal is to make a map composition for publication, then exporting
pdf or svg and finishing in one of the above programs would be recommended.

The original question was about North arrows specifically. The
decorators option in QGIS does this. It does not allow image options
currently though. So I tend to insert the a custom image in the composer
and position it where I want. Since most maps have north directly up,
it's quite easy. If however you want magnetic north or have a projection
with a tilt that angle is usually known and you can actually rotate the
north arrow image in the properties in the composer.

Thanks,
Alex