[Qgis-user] QGIS process usage - benchmark

Alen Mangafic amangaf at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 04:52:39 PST 2014

Hi,

I am Alen, a student of Geodesy in the University of Ljubljana.

In my diploma I am dealing with running geospatial Python scripts in
QGIS and in the final
part of it I would love to compare (qualitative and quantitative) the
running of those scripts in the Linux and the Windows QGIS versions
(same computer with the latest Linux distribution of the used version
and latest Win OS,  latest updates, same QGIS version and without
modifications).

I would need a recommendation for a tool/method, for both platforms,
which can evaluate the speed of a process, the amount of RAM being used
and other data that are related with performance (QGIS/OS benchmark) so
I can compare them.

I would also like to hear from you which Linux OS do you recommend for
this testing.
I planned to use Debian Wheezy. Which Linux distribution do you
recommend to perform my study?
My goal is to use one, that will give the best results in performance
(know it's difficult to tell, also "experience answers" are
appreciated), cause one of my diploma goals is also to promote the using
of Linux on my university for geodetic engineering purposes and I would
like to show it in the best light possible.

Thanks,
Regards

Alen