[Qgis-user] offline address geocoding

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Jan 5 11:58:55 PST 2014

David,
I'm a volunteer contributor to OpenStreetMap. A few of us are working to
import addresses into OSM. (Although not all countries have addresses.) I
had not considered addresses useful for disaster preparedness. Can you help
me understand how address help?

Thanks,
Clifford

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 11:41 AM, David Hiers <davidhiers7836 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hello,
> I am seeking a GIS app to use for a disaster preparedness group.  As such,
> I need full functionality when the Internet is not available.
>
>  The weak spot for most GIS apps seems to be gecoding street addresses to
> coordinates (lat/log, UTM, etc).  Many apps seem to wind up referencing the
> geocoding services of google or yahoo instead of doing the work locally.
>
> Provided the correct data files (TIGER, etc), can QGIS be used to geocode
> street addresses without Internet access?
>

> Best Regards,
>
> David

Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch