[Qgis-user] offline address geocoding

David Hiers davidhiers7836 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 5 13:28:31 PST 2014

Hi Clifford,

The immediate disaster preparedness benefit of geocoding addresses would be to get the chairman of Beaverton CERT (http://www.beavertonoregon.gov/index.aspx?nid=569)  to quit riding my sorry butt about my current project!

Ya see, CERT members are the first boots on the ground when the professional responders are overwhelmed.   We bridge the gap between the Big Bad Thing and the arrival of the Cavalry. Our current project is to map out all of our members to identify who lives within a particular radius of whom, information from which we'll build localized teams, plan equipment caches, rally points, etc.

As you know, its all about location.  After the quake/tsunami flattens the pacific northwest, we'll be flooded with damage reports, support requests, pop-up shelter locations, etc, all of which will probably be expressed in terms of street address, intersection, or landmark.  To do any sort of automated work with that data (estimate the impact of the cloud of methyl-ethyl-badness from the derailed train car, for instance), first thing I want to do is to geocode everything so I can do math on it.

Of course, there's the whole "predict what the Incident Commander will want years in advance" aspect to this, too.  There's just no telling what the local IC is going to come up with once the ball gets rolling.  Every IC has a boss, so this bit of mystery goes all the up to DHS/FEMA.

Anyway, whatever CERT does, we generally plan to do it without any supporting infrastructure such as commercial power, internet, etc.  If it can't be done it with a ham radio and laptop from the front seat of my corolla, its probably not going to happen in time to matter.

I'm just getting rolling on this, and if there is a way to make something harder that it should  be, I'm just the guy to find it.  If I'm twisting at windmills here, let me know :)

Cheers!

David