[Qgis-user] Shifting overlapping points

Martin Gibson martin at creativeinterpretation.co.uk
Mon Jan 6 04:00:51 PST 2014

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for that.  I was vaguely aware of that option but have now explored
it properly, and it will certainly help for some of the work I was using
the plugin for, though the ability to be able to actually modify the data
rather than visualise it is something I could use if anyone else has ideas
on this?

Thanks

Martin

On 6 January 2014 11:51, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Sorry - can't help with the plugin issue.
>
> But are you aware that QGIS comes with a builtin method for that problem
> that shifts the points on the fly during rendering rather than
> manipulating the underlying data?
>
> It is called the point displacement renderer and should be available in
> the layer properties style tab as an alternative to the categorized,
> rule-based, etc. renderers.
>
> When choosing the point displacement renderer you can then again use one
> of the other categorization options.
>
> Hope this helps?
>
> Andreas
>
> Am 06.01.2014 12:17, schrieb Martin Gibson:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm more familiar with ArcGIS than QGIS but starting to shift over to
> using
> > QGIS for most/all work. One thing I had been using QGIS for anyway was
> > shifting overlaid points, as I couldn't get Arc to do this.  I was using
> > the ShiftPoints plugin, but it doesn't appear to be available for 2.0 - I
> > have come across a statement that it obsolete now and that I should use
> > Sextante instead.  Can't find any info on how to achieve what I used to
> > with the plugin - can anyone help?
> >
> > What I have is a point dataset where a number of the points share exactly
> > identical coordinates.  I need to sift all the overlapping points
> slightly
> > so they can all be seen on the map.
> >
> > My reading suggests Sextante has been incorporated into the core of QGIS
> as
> > the processing menu.  What I can't work out is if the shift point
> function
> > features under there somewhere, and if so, where?  I can't find a tool in
> > the toolbox that looks like it will do this, nor much by way of
> description
> > of the available tools.
> >
> > Any help very welcome!
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Martin

Martin Gibson
Creative Interpretation Ltd

w: www.creativeinterpretation.co.uk
e: martin at creativeinterpretation.co.uk
t:  01983 220044

Creative Interpretation Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales
number 07963113, registered office 145-157 St John Street, London, EC1V 4PW.