[Qgis-user] Newbie - QGIS won't recongize shp files, comp turns shp files into pdfs

Matt_Klick matthew.klick at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 08:37:06 PST 2014

Thank you both Frank and Alexandre,

It is appreciated.

I'm afraid I am using both the add vector layer, and have the complete set
of files downloaded, and still no luck -- and now on several computers and
having reinstalled QGIS, and having re-downloaded files, a half dozen times
at least.

I have only been using files downloaded from DIVA-GIS though, so perhaps I
will try getting fields from somewhere else.

Best, M

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:26 AM, Sr. Neto [via OSGeo.org] <
ml-node+s1560n5096521h88 at n6.nabble.com> wrote:

> Also, confirm that you have the complete set of files of shapefile.
>
> You must have (at least) a .SHP, a .SHX and a .DBF with the same name.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Alexandre Neto
>

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 6:00 AM, Frank Sokolic <[hidden email]<http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5096521&i=0>
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi Matt,
>>
>> Are you using the "Add Vector Layer" command to open the shapefiles? If
>> not, go to the "Layer" menu and select the "Add Vector Layer" command. You
>> can then choose "Browse" to look for the shapefile you want to load.
>>
>> Regards, Frank.
>>

>> On 06/01/2014 06:57, Matt_Klick wrote:
>>
>>> No luck on this yet, but thank you for your suggestion. On another
>>> computer, I still cannot upload shp files - instead changing them to
>>> nursoft (??) files. In any event, I cannot yet open a shp file using
>>> QGIS.
>>>

>>> On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Akinyemi Bojerenu [via OSGeo.org]
>>> <[hidden email] </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5096495&i=0>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hi,
>>>     Please extract the contents of the zip file first into a destination
>>>     folder of choice.
>>>     When opening a shapefile, navigate to your folder to select the
>>>     shapefile(s).
>>>     Hope this helps..
>>>     Yemi
>>>
>>>     On Jan 4, 2014 9:13 AM, "Matt_Klick" <[hidden email]
>>>     <http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5096323&i=0>> wrote:
>>>
>>>         I'm very new to any GIS type platforms, so please forgive the
>>>         ignorance on
>>>         display here (and I did search for answers to this elsewhere).
>>> I've
>>>         downloaded QGIS 2.0.1. I separately downloaded Tunisia
>>>         administrative data
>>>         from DIVA-GIS. When I open QGIS, it does not find the .zip file,
>>>         nor any of
>>>         the shp files. In my efforts to correct, I managed to convert
>>>         shp files into
>>>         pdfs. Even though I've re-installed QGIS, and deleted and
>>>         re-downloaded
>>>         Tunisia files, shp files are once again pdfs, and QGIS cannot
>>>         "see" any shp
>>>         files. Any advice, or thoughts on what I'm doing wrong, greatly
>>>         appreciated.
>>>         -MK
>>>

>>>         --

>>>     turns shp files into pdfs, click here.
>>>     NAML
>>>     <http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/template/
>>> NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%
>>> 21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.
>>> BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-
>>> nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=
>>> notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%