[Qgis-user] Identify Features popup and viewing feature metadata question

Peter Len peteralen at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 13 09:32:56 PST 2014

I am using QGIS v2.0.1 and am also using PostgreSQL/PostGIS as well as GeoServer.  In my PostgreSQL, I have a feature table that contains an ID, title, and point geometry.  I have published the table as a WMS/WFS via GeoServer.  In QGIS, I added a layer to the feature table with a direct connection through the "Add PostGIS Layer" and I also added another layer to the feature table through the "AddWFS Layer" (which goes through GeoServer).  When I click on the "Identify Features" icon and click on a feature that is on my PostGIS direct connection layer, I can see the ID and Title for that feature in the popup window.  If however, I click on the same feature but is in the WFS layer, I don't get that other metadata. I only see the coordinates for the feature.

I am new to QGIS and these types of geospatial tools so I am not sure what the difference is.  Am I not seeing the other metadata fields when working with the WFS via GeoServer because you don't get the other field data with that service?  or is it an indicated that I am not properly registering or accessing the layer over WFS? or ???

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - Peter