[Qgis-user] problem reprojecting some shapefiles

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Tue Jan 21 07:32:11 PST 2014

Am 21.01.2014 12:44, schrieb Giacomo Fontanelli:
> dear community
>
> I'm gonna report a problem that I observed frequently. I have polygon
> shapefile, downloaded from the net, representing the path of a satellite. I
> think this shapefile derive from a .kml, but I'm not sure. This layer is
> WGS84 EPSG:4326.
>
> I have also a layer in UTM 32N (EPSG:32632).
>
> If I work with the on the fly projection I can see both the layers
> correctly reprojected and positioned in EPSG 32632 (this must be the
> reference system of my project),

So far, everything is correct.

  but once I deflag the on fly projection
> and I try to reproject the WGS84 layer (Vector>Define projection)

No, please, DO NOT DEFINE PROJECTION!!! if you want to reproject the data.

Define Projection should only be used if the layer has a false
projection. It changes the SRS information, but not the coordinates or
their units.

If you want your data in UTM 32N metres, rightclick on the layer, Save
As ... and choose a different file name and EPSG:32632 as CRS.

HTH,
André Joost