[Qgis-user] Current version of QGIS

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat Jan 25 16:25:28 PST 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Jonathan Moules <
jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk> wrote:

> It occurs to me - this is a prime example of how this numbering system is
> confusing to users. Quite a few folks are talking about using 2.1 and how
> something is fixed in it, yet the QGIS webpage only has 2.0 on it. I know I
> always hate it when projects do that and wonder why they're not keeping
> their web-page updated.
> What was the reasoning behind using odd numbers for development versions?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning#Odd-numbered_versions_for_development_releases- suggests that it only works well for long-release cycles which QGIS
> doesn't have any more.

I don't see anything wrong with the new versioning setup. Just that it's
not spelled out for users. If the user's download page [0] just had a link
with the text similar to "QGIS versions and release schedules" that sent
the visitor to the developers page that already outlines the versioning
concept [1], wouldn't that be enough?

[0] http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html
[1] http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/index.html

Regards,