[Qgis-user] LIZMAP ERROR PRINT - HELP!

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Jun 10 23:39:11 PDT 2014

Hi Andrea,

WMS allows extensions and GetPrint is one of them. BTW: GetPrint is what
many organizations find quite attractive. If we improve GetPrint to also
allow to generate data-sheets and reports by using Atlas functionality
it will be even more powerful. So I'd rather see GetPrint continuously
improved than removed.

It is true that in some cases we need to improve to be more standards
compliant. This is a group effort. Everybody can contribute. Removing
GetPrint from GetCapabilities, or implementing in a standard compliant
way, would help. We could still have it listed in GetProjectSettings.

Your other claims, that QGIS server is not ready for real deployments is
wrong. There are several cities and provinces using QGIS server in
production mode, including my own organization for 3-4 years now. Speed
is comparable to other WMS - some times slower, some times faster. You
can try other Server at http://gis.uster.ch/ and will see that it isn't
slower than other WMS. On the contrary - people often mention that it is
quite fast.

QGIS server is lacking some features you listed (including proper SLD
support, multiple styles, name groups, etc.), but some of the features
you listed are already there (e.g. the hidden layers (you can exclude
layers in the OWS configuration tab)). In addition it supports stuff
that other WMS servers don't support.

QGIS server is and will be what the users want it to be - so everybody
can shape and influence where it should go. With development work or by
hiring developers to implement missing features. Having said that, and
citing Vincent, you cannot just remove stuff that others rely on.

Just ranting about things does not help.

Andreas