[Qgis-user] Install Qgis on Ubuntu 14.04

custard custard at westnet.com.au
Sat Jun 14 06:01:53 PDT 2014

On 13/06/14 23:13, Andre Joost wrote:
> Am 13.06.2014 16:24, schrieb Carmine Massarelli:
>> The guide to install SDK to read /.ecw/ is here
>> (http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.osgeo.ubuntu/870), but does
>> not work in qgis 2.0, maybe i need qgis 2.2.
>>

> The guide is for Ubuntu raring, using ubuntugis unstable repository.
> For ecw support, you need the package libgdal-ecw.
> This is at the moment only available for precise (12.04) and
> raring(13.04), not for saucy (13.10) or trusty (14.04).
>
> So it's more a question of ubuntu version, not qgis version.

Am I missing something? I haven't been able to see libgdal-ecw for
anything more recent than raring (13.04)?

>> So can I follow your instruction?
>>
>> 1) open a terminal
>> 2) gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
>> 3) enter password
>> 4) add this lines in the end
>> deb http://qgis.org/debian trusty main
>> deb-src http://qgis.org/debian trusty main
>
> This is not using ubuntugis repositories at all, so you might be out of
> luck with ecw support. Mixing both repositories, and different Ubuntu
> versions is likely to fail (unless you know exactly what you are doing).

If the libgdal-ecw for trusty does exist, then your link should work
with the change Andre mentions above, and use trusty where it says raring.

If it doesn't then this is the workaround that I used. It's a quite
hacky, and I'm not making any guarantees other than it works for me.
I would strongly suggest that these be read through before you do them
so you sort-of understand what you're doing first. Feel free to ask
questions. (or make corrections!)

-ramon.

Use your step 1-4 for qgis.org/debian above, and make sure you have a
working QGIS 2.2.
	If you had a QGIS installed before you may need to totally
	uninstall qgis python-qgis and their dependants.

	This gets you a working qgis using GDAL 1.10

Install the ECW SDK.
	[I'm still using the 3.3 SDK so I'm assuming the instructions in
	your link are correct. From the recipe do these bits:]

	Download ERDAS-ECW_JPEG_2000_SDK-5.1.1.bin in
	http://download.intergraph.com/

	Search ERDAS ECW/JP2 SDK v5.1 (Linux) or click
	http://download.intergraph.com/downloads/erdas-ecw-jp2-sdk-v5.1-%28linux%29?startdownload=1

	In the terminal [you can do this in you're download fosder, there's no
need to copy it into your Home dir]
	chmod +x ERDAS-ECW_JPEG_2000_SDK-5.1.1.bin

	./ERDAS-ECW_JPEG_2000_SDK-5.1.1.bin #Select option desktop read only

	sudo cp -r ERDAS-ECW_JPEG_2000_SDK-5.1.1 /usr/local/

	sudo ln -s
/usr/local/ERDAS-ECW_JPEG_2000_SDK-5.1.1/Desktop_Read-Only/lib/x86/release/libNCSEcw.so
/usr/local/lib/libNCSEcw.so

	sudo ldconfig

Now you need the libgdal-ecw-build and AFAIK the best place for that is
ubuntugis (there's probaby a better place). This script is tied to
particular GDAL versions, and helpfully the ubuntugis raring also uses
GDAL 1.10 so it should be safe to use.

	In the terminal again cd to somewhere that you can make a bit of mess.
Then fetch the libgdal-ecw package manually.
	(I did it manually so that I didn't mess up my sources.list)
	wget
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable/+files/libgdal-ecw-src_1.10.0-1~raring4_all.deb

	Unpack the archive and its data.
	(note that you could also force install this package, but either option
bypasses the safeguards in using package management. Reread Andre's
understated warning above.)
	ar vx libgdal-ecw-src_1.10.0-1~raring4_all.deb
	tar -xzf data.tar.gz

	You only need these two files
	sudo cp usr/src/libgdal-ecw-1.10.0.tar.gz /usr/src/
	sudo cp	usr/bin/gdal-ecw-build /usr/bin/

	Run the script
	sudo gdal-ecw-build /usr/local/

	And then you should get something meaningful out of this and ecw files
should work.
	gdalinfo --formats | grep ecw