[Qgis-user] Shapefile not visible when zoom in - Linux

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Sat Jun 14 20:23:46 PDT 2014

On 14/06/14 00:50, D'Eramo, Massimo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> first post to the list for me… hope to not repeat already solved issues.
>
> I’m using v2.2 on Mint Linux 13, but when I load a shapefile and try to
> zoom in, the data disappears from screen. Zooming back out makes data
> appears again, this happens at a scale of about 1:300.00. This happens
> with all kind of shapefiles: points – lines – area. Moreover, I’m not
> able to use the element information tool: clicking on an object does not
> shows any information window. Rasters are indeed visible without any
> issue at any zoom level.
>
> I never experienced such issues on all Windows system I use at work,
> while at home I try and use all open-source systems. Are these issues
> related to something wrong in configuration or is it a bug?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Massimo D’Eramo

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole
> use of the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be
> confidential and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email
> in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the
> message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
> communication (including attachments) by someone other than the intended
> recipient is prohibited. Thank you.

Massimo,

I have encountered this problem previously using another package.

Two issues may be the cause.

First try renaming shapefiles in Linux so no spaces are in the name. For
example replace " " with "_". Use something like pyrenamer to
speed the process up.

If this does not work it may be an odd 'windows character' in the
attribute table (e.g. degrees sign). Check if you can use the shapefile
on a windows machine if you have access to one. If the error goes away
try exporting in a new codepage (say UTF-8) rather than (CP1252). Then
retry in Linux.

Good Luck. Report back any progress or success in fixing the problem.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides