[Qgis-user] Unable to open OGR .vrt file

Andrea Acinelli aacinelli at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 06:38:42 PDT 2014

Hi Even/Andre,

After going through the OGR Virtual Format documentation again I realized
that the GeometryField sub-element has an optional attribute called
reportSrcColum.

When set to FALSE  (by default is set to TRUE) the source geometry fields
(longitude and  latitude columns in .csv file) will only be used to build
the geometry of the features of the VRT layer but they will not be copied
over to the attribute table in QGIS. In contrast if I use the default value
the source geometry fields will only be copied over without building the
geometry. Have I understood correctly?

Modifying the following line it worked:

<GeometryField encoding="PointFromColumns" reportSrcColumn="false"
x="longitude" y="latitude"/>

Thanks again for your help

Andrea