[Qgis-user] Unable to open OGR .vrt file

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Fri Jun 20 07:22:56 PDT 2014

Am 19.06.2014 23:59, schrieb Andrea Acinelli:

> Thanks for spotting that. After correcting the quotation the virtual
> layer loaded but without showing any features on the canvas or the
> attribute table.

Same here. it is loaded as empty non-spatial table, because the source
file has not been found. Not sure why there is no error message for that.

> After, as Even suggested, I modified the .vrt file
> including the relativeToVRT="1" attribute in<SrcDataSource>  and
> layer gets loaded with all the features

Same here. Ogr2ogr behaves a bit different than QGIS in that point. You
can as well enter full path and file name to get it working.

> but all the points gets
> rendered on top of each at lat=0, long=0.

Not for me. Meanwhile I have found the original dataset at:

<http://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/active_fire/text/Global_24h.csv>

And the points appear all over the world.

Maybe there is another typo in your dataset. Alternatively, you can try

ogr2ogr Global_24h.shp Global_24h.vrt

and see if that shows the points correctly.

HTH,
André Joost