[Qgis-user] Ubuntu 14.04 and qgis

Lens Paul paul.lens at gmx.com
Mon May 5 09:03:15 PDT 2014

Hi Randy,

Your message came when I was about to send a message explaining my problems.

Using QGIS 2.2+Grass on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, installed in accordance with
the instructions given on the "alldownloads.html" page on qis.org.

At first, it worked very well. QGIS could even open a project file which
didn't  open on another computer.
After several boots,  Ubuntu began to display an internal error message,
than it hanged on next reboot, displaying "running in low graphics mode"
(the graphic card is in the chipset: "Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset
Family").

After reinstallation of Ubuntu and QGIS, QGIS 2.2 opened the project
file but could not load the layers.
In fact, it adds "1" to the partition name (in this case the NTFS
partition named "R3SERVE" becomes "R3SERVE1") and whence it doesn't
recognise the path. A weird behaviour since Ubuntu still displays the
correct name "R3SERVE"!

Here is a sample (I deleted several lines) of the messages displayed in
"Terminal":

plfixe2 at plfixe2-Dimension-5100:~$ qgis
Warning: loading of qt translation failed
[/usr/share/qt4/translations/qt_en_US]
Warning: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int): Already
tracking action "Toolbox" under id 255

(qgis.bin:4353): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to read the recently used
resources file at `/home/plfixe2/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but
the parser failed: L'ouverture du fichier
« /home/plfixe2/.local/share/recently-used.xbel » a échoué : Permission
non accordée.
ERROR 10: Pointer 'hDS' is NULL in 'OGR_DS_Destroy'.

ERROR 4:
`/media/plfixe2/R2SERVE/SIG_proj/MB103_Ille/Donnees/00-general/4_PPNC/68_68_w.jpg'
does not exist in the file system,
and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

ERROR 10: Pointer 'hDS' is NULL in 'OGR_DS_Destroy'.

ERROR 6: EPSG PCS/GCS code 103300 not found in EPSG support files.  Is
this a valid
EPSG coordinate system?
ERROR 10: Pointer 'hDS' is NULL in 'OGR_DS_Destroy'.

ERROR 10: Pointer 'hDS' is NULL in 'OGR_DS_Destroy'.

Warning: Couldn't open the data source:
/media/plfixe2/R2SERVE/SIG_proj/MB103_Ille/Donnees/00-general/GPS/AOU-11-11
053928 PM.gpx
ERROR 10: Pointer 'hDS' is NULL in 'OGR_DS_Destroy'.

Besides after reboot, Ubuntu displays again an internal error problem.
I suppose it is going to hang again on the next reboots.

Hope this helps,

Paul