[Qgis-user] Converting Alberta Township System

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Tue May 20 07:42:30 PDT 2014

Michael,

     The Alberta Township System can be a pain to relate to geographic
coordinates. While it is a survey system (or land parcel definition
system) defined by physical monuments placed on the ground, it is often
just "estimated" using the original rules used in laying out the
monuments back in the late 1800s.

     The official source of the data is
http://www.altalis.com/products/property/ats.html.  While the polygon
file is provided at a cost ($1000), a text file of survey corners is
available for free.  But joining the corners into polygons is not for
the faint of heart.

     If all you want to do is check general correctness of your data,
and not the positional accuracy of your locations, you could use the
federal government's approximation of the township system available at
http://geoscan.nrcan.gc.ca/starweb/geoscan/servlet.starweb?path=geoscan/downloade.web&search1=R=224039

     This is a 1gb download with several Canadian reference systems,
including the township polygon shapes down to the section level
(unfortunately not down to the quarter section level).  The files you
would be interested in are named
\DATA\RFGRD\SHP\dls_w456_n83_polygon.* in the zip file.

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser