[Qgis-user] svg markers not behaving in the print composer

benjamin.donner at kimitoon.fi benjamin.donner at kimitoon.fi
Wed May 21 00:16:43 PDT 2014

Hi, I have some serious trouble with svg and ttf markers in the print composer. I use SVG markers mostly, and mostly two on top of eachother (an icon in the foreground and a rectangle in the background). The problems are:

1.     Aligning the front and the background svg:s onto eachother does not give same result on different instances. The foreground svg often prints out in the tif/pdf/... file as too much to the right. Adjusting  X/Y offset sometimes helps, but sometimes does nothing. There seems to be a cache somewhere, and I cannot find the way to be sure that the marker settings I have changed will really take effect in the next print composer savd image.

2.     What is shown on the print composer screen is not the same as what is shown in the final image file. The same problem as above; foreground markers are usually not well adjusted with the background in the image file even if they would be it on the computer screen in the composer

3.     The size settings of foreground / background markers does not correspond with the outcome. I use millimeters now, and want the same amount of the background rectangle to be shown outside the limits of the foreground marker for each of the symbols I use. But 6mm on one place does not correspond with 6mm on another place, i.e. I have to just try an try until I get the right size for the markers, and then get back to 1 above, i.e. changes I did much earlier are all of the sudden shown and makes later adjustments wrong.

So my questions: Is there a way of refreshing / emptying cache so that I know that changes to the markers will be used in the output file? (I have tried saving, refreshing, closing and re-opening the composer). Is there a better way or some kind of trick I have not understood for getting markers adjusted on eachother? Has the bug with wrong output sizes when using mm sizes been noticed?

Thanks, Ben