[Qgis-user] Merging DEMs

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Thu May 29 06:40:13 PDT 2014

On 2014/05/29 15:25, Randal Hale wrote:
> I have two Digital Elevation Models - Imagine a square cut into two
> equal triangles.
>
> No matter how I do it - One DEM overwrites the other one so I'm only
> ever getting half of the elevation model I want when I merge them. It
> appears GDAL only takes the last Elevation model and uses that to
> overwrite the First. I've tried making no-data transparent....I've
> converted the img to a tif (these are 1/9 DEMs from the USGS National
> Map). In someone's infinite wisdom they were cut at the North
> Carolina/South Carolina State Line.
>
> Thoughts or ideas?
>
> Randy

Sounds a bit like "the other triangle" is filled with null type values?
Try looking at them as points in QGIS or something to see if the blank
halves actually carry data which is overwriting the other half when you
merge them.
I have no experience using USGS DEMs (btw :-) )

HTH
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za