[Qgis-user] Create a non spatial index on an attribute in QGIS before joining two layers

Jess Dyer Jess.Dyer at ordnancesurvey.co.uk
Fri May 30 00:58:48 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'm using QGIS 2.0.1 on Windows 7.

I'm trying to join a .dbf which contains no spatial data to a shape file containing spatial data. Ideally I'd like to create an attribute index on the join field in the .dbf before I join it to the shape file. Does anybody know how I can do this?

Also in the join menu there are two tick box options:

1. Cache join layer in virtual memory
2. Create attribute index on join field

Can anybody tell me what these two options mean? Is the attribute index created during the join if I was to tick this or is it done before the join?

Cheers
Jess

This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.

Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ordnance Survey
Adanac Drive
Southampton SO16 0AS