[Qgis-user] How to Make a project layer editable

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Sep 25 12:56:20 PDT 2014

On 25-09-14 19:04, Tom Lennon wrote:
> I have a project with layers imported from Arc Info Coverages
> (directories). They all appear to be locked from editing. If I select a
> polygon, list the attributes, and attempt to change them the pencil
> toggle in not active and no new values can be entered. I have tried
> other projects which were not imported from Arc and they are editable,
> so the problem seems to be import layer related.

Hi Tom,

QGIS uses the OGR library to read and (optionally) write certain data
formats. See this table:
http://www.gdal.org/ogr_formats.html

As you can read here:
http://www.gdal.org/drv_avcbin.html
and
http://www.gdal.org/drv_avce00.html

this format is read only for OGR, meaning it is also read-only for QGIS.

If you save this in another format (eg shapefile, or put it in Postgis)
then you can edit it.
But you will need Esri software to write that back to coverages I think ...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde