[Qgis-user] How to Make a project layer editable

Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) carlo.bertelli at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 14:36:49 PDT 2014

The correspondence is not always true, several not-free formats are writable
by OGR, but, as a precaution, they are not editable in QGIS. This is the
case for files that are able to style features: MapInfo, Intergraph DGNs,
etc. could be writable asking the user losing stylesif he would be
acceptable.
I would prefer being able to edit all formats OGR can write.
Ciao.
cb

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 21:56:20 +0200 Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> From: Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>
> To: Tom Lennon <tolennon at gmail.com>, Qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] How to Make a project layer editable
>
> On 25-09-14 19:04, Tom Lennon wrote:
> > I have a project with layers imported from Arc Info Coverages
> > (directories). They all appear to be locked from editing. If I select a
> > polygon, list the attributes, and attempt to change them the pencil
> > toggle in not active and no new values can be entered. I have tried
> > other projects which were not imported from Arc and they are editable,
> > so the problem seems to be import layer related.
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> QGIS uses the OGR library to read and (optionally) write certain data
> formats. See this table:
> http://www.gdal.org/ogr_formats.html
>
> As you can read here:
> http://www.gdal.org/drv_avcbin.html
> and
> http://www.gdal.org/drv_avce00.html
>
> this format is read only for OGR, meaning it is also read-only for QGIS.
>
> If you save this in another format (eg shapefile, or put it in Postgis)
> then you can edit it.
> But you will need Esri software to write that back to coverages I think ...
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

Carlo A. Bertelli
   Charta servizi e sistemi per il territorio e la storia ambientale srl
          Dipendenze del palazzo Doria,
          vc. alla Chiesa della Maddalena 9/2 16124      Genova (Italy)
          tel. +39(0)10 2475439  fax +39(0)10 2475439  gsm:+39 393 1590711
   e-mail: bertelli at charta.acme.com      http://www.charta.acme.com