[Qgis-user] Non Earth projection

Mats Elfström mats.elfstrom at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:08:26 PDT 2014

Hi!
I think that Priscilla does not mean another celestial body by 'non earth',
but rather the old MapInfo concept of a non projected flat coordinate
system. This is called a cartesian system, and would be useful in case QGIS
is used to digitize scanned paper drawings for instance.
In MapInfo, a cartesian table can be set up to a high resolution since such
projects typically covers very small areas (printed drawings).
Many years ago, when QGIS was still a toddler, I solved the problem by
simply disregarding the projection factor since it would make a very small
difference for a small area.
But I did spend some time trying to create a flat projection. This failed,
being a contradiction in terms.

Regards, Mats.E

> On 09/30/2014 03:10 AM, Priscilla Maisie wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I need to work in a non earth map projection system. Can't locate the
> > option on qgis. Is there a way I can create this?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Priscilla
> >

> Yes you can create your own projection in Settings->Custom CRS.
> You'll need to create your own proj4 compatible string. Comparing a few
> similar projections should help you figure out what you need.
>
> Note in recent versions of QGIS if you look in the Projection on the Fly
> dialog, there are several Mars projections and Coordinate systems.
>
> Need more help, please provide more information about the planet
> size/shape and type of projection.
>
> Other references, http://epsg.io and http://spatialreference.org
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Mats Elfström, Väpplingvägen 21, SE-227 38 LUND, Sweden
tel: +46 46 145959 / mob: +46 70 595 39 35
alt e-mail: mats.elfstrom at giskraft.com <mats.elfstrom at telia.com>