[Qgis-user] Problem with categorized styling using attributes from joint tables

Fuenfer-Koenigstein.Benjamin at swm.de Fuenfer-Koenigstein.Benjamin at swm.de
Tue Dec 1 04:31:59 PST 2015

Hi,

I have a problem while joining tables in QGIS and using the information from joint tables for styling.

I'm working with geometries and a table, the data source is a read-only PostGIS-Server. My goal is to use attributes contained in the attribute-table of a geometry-object (ver06_f) for styling another geometry-object (ver01_l). For joining them I use a geometry-less table (hdu01_b), because the geometries have no attribute that allows me to directly join them.

The table contains the object-id's of the two geometries that belong together (objid_1 is the object-id of the objects in "ver01_l", objid_2 is the id of the objects in "ver06_f"; one objid_2 fits to many objid_1).

So I first join the table (hdu_01b) to the geometry-object I want to style (ver01_l) using the join field "objid_1" to get the information about the related objid_2 into my layer.

Then I use the new target-field with the object-id of "ver06_f" to join it. So far everything works well, the objects in "ver01_l" now have new fields in the attribute-table with the attributes coming from "ver06_f".

Now I want to use these attributes for styling the layer "ver01_l". In the styles-menu I use "categorized" and choose an attribute coming from "ver06_f". The values are displayed in the menu, but all the objects of "ver01_l" get the default style for objects with NULL-Value.

Using the info-tool, I see that many objects have the value coming from "ver06_f", but despite that they are styled with the default-style.

It seems that the joins itself work well but for styling, the joins can't be used properly. I guess the problem comes from joining the layers indirectly with the help of another table, but I can't see why it shouldn't work that way.

Let me know if you need any further information. Thanks a lot for any help!

Best regards
Benjamin