[Qgis-user] best practice for reducing size of spatial objects

Ken Walenga walenga.ken at gene.com
Fri Dec 4 12:27:20 PST 2015

What is the best way to reduce the number of points a spatial object
contains, thereby reducting its size and footprint at run time when
displaying the object? The problem I am running into is that we start with
a set of zipcode objects for the US and map/merge our custom territories
with it, ending up with somewhere between 10 - 150 custom territories. We
are using Qlikview to render the custom spatial objects, and if we try to
simultaneously display too many objects (ca. 3 - 30, depending on the total
# of custom objects the zip data set is reduced to), the client program
will crash. It seems that the custom spatial objects are too dense. I'm
wondering how to change the "sampling" level from say, 1 geo-point every 3
feet to 1 geo-point every 50 or 100 feet. I thought "simplify" ought to do
that but maybe I'm not using it correctly or there is some configuration
setting I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated.

----
Kenneth Walenga
Commercial BI & Reporting
Genentech, A Member of the Roche Group
US CommOps - USMA Data Services
"Every moment matters.  Making IT happen."
(O) 650-467-6855
(F) 650-467-2570
(M) 650-438-4505