[Qgis-user] extracting elevations from DEM at certain points

Szilard Albert szilard.albert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 21:57:53 PST 2015

Hello,

I need to extract elevation values from a DEM at certain points for which I
have X and Y values.
My points are contained in several profiles, each profile with hundreds of
points.

My input is a text file, one file per profile,  with the following format:

PointA X Y
PointB X Y
PointZ X Y.

I would like a solution where I can feed the above text input, and get my
output as another text file
with similar format, Point X Y Z (or Point Z X Y). Alternatively just a
text file with one column containing Z,
but exactly same number of rows, so I can copy and paste to the input.

One single command that solves one point only would do as well, I would
just create a script file from my every
text file for every line....

I am using QGIS 2.8 Wien in Ubuntu.

Thank you.