[Qgis-user] Looking for a suggestion on a vector format

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Fri Dec 18 08:56:23 PST 2015

Hi,
Unless someone has magic server solution I don't know about, a QGIS project will always be a QGIS project file and a data file for each layer (vector or raster).
I don't know if spatialite is capable of storing different type of geometries (like a gml file) but it is good practice to save different geometries (point, line, polygons) and themes in different files or layers.  A DWG/DXF works differently as they can store layers within the same file but QGIS will only use one layer at a time. You can import many layers at once but keep in mind that  DWG exports and imports are far from perfect and DWG  are limited in their data base capabilities.
There is no sub project in QGIS like you have in AutoCad.  In AutoCad, you can have external references to other file so that one person can design a garage and another the first floor.  If you have a server, you can have more than one person working with the same layers.   Spatialite is a data base but it does not support multi -users (to my knowledge).
Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
Les Entreprises Archéotec inc.
8548, rue Saint-Denis Montréal H2P 2H2
Téléphone: 514.381.5112  Fax: 514.381.4995
www.archeotec.ca