[Qgis-user] Something strange with the memory

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Fri Dec 18 21:26:00 PST 2015

Hi Laurence
"Unfortunately,  after 4 or 5 times I saved files, qGIS starts 'not responding', a lag which the first times is some seconds and becomes several minutes and then I have to reboot the computer.".
I have had this problem in the past with other versions of QGIS.  For me, I would wait then save and close the project and QGIS and start it over again.  I did not need to reboot.  Looks like a memory leak of some kind.
 I haven't had this problem in some time.  Have you tried to completely reinstall QGIS and all the plugins?   I would do that as many things are all going wrong at once.  I would destroy all registry keys and all .QGIS folders in your user profiles (you can back them up).
If is't still a problem, go with 2.8 which is more stable.  I would also look at the state if your Windows also.  My guess is that the install is a few years old.  Windows 7 is better then xp but it slow down after a few years and gets all messed up. It could help to reinstall Windows if all else fails especially if you are having problems updating Windows 7. That is usually then beginning of the end with Windows 7.... :(
Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
Les Entreprises Archéotec inc.
8548, rue Saint-Denis Montréal H2P 2H2
Téléphone: 514.381.5112  Fax: 514.381.4995
www.archeotec.ca
On Dec 18, 2015 21:14, "Laurence Béchet [via OSGeo.org]	" <ml-node+s1560n5242035h46 at n6.nabble.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    I've have experienced recently on several occasions a strange
    behavior of qGIS with what I think, memory. I cannot reproduce with
    a basic example, I need my whole project to make it happen.

    I'm working for a conservation project and I've got a set of
    shapefiles with streams, tracks, contours .... and our traps and
    baitstations (we do pest control). I'm currently trying to make maps
    of bird census for our end of year reports.

    Most of the data I get are from GPS, which is easy to handle (either
    the gpx file of by importing a csv file). But I also have to create
    shapefiles (points and polygons) to place bird sightings and draw
    territories. These files don't have any columns for GPS coordinates,
    as I draw the points or polygons using field markers (sighting next
    to a trap or near a track). So I create the shapefile, fill it in
    with a few data and save it, then fill it in with more data.
    Everything goes well until the moment I save the shapefile again. It
    is saved but the points or polygons get all mixed. They are at the
    good place but not for the bird they were supposed to represent!

    I spent 2 days trying to understand what was possibly wrong and the
    only way I managed to make it work was to create a new shapefile
    each time I saved new data.
    Unfortunately,  after 4 or 5 times I saved files, qGIS starts 'not
    responding', a lag which the first times is some seconds and becomes
    several minutes and then I have to reboot the computer.

    Is there a way to trace what is happening? Nothing appears in the
    log messages nor in the windows event logs, it seems.
    I'm using windows 7 pro 64bits , qGIS 2.12.1-Lyon  code revision
    16760fd. Same problem with 2.13.0
    I'm not connected to any databases, just working locally, no WMS
    connection and qGIS takes already ages to load the project (~3min).
    It never happened to me with the old versions like Dufour.

    Any hints about what to check, look for would be much appreciated
    Cheers
    Laurence

		http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Something-strange-with-the-memory-tp5242035.html

		To start a new topic under Quantum GIS - User, email ml-node+s1560n4125267h38@n6.nabble.com
		To unsubscribe from Quantum GIS - User, click here .
		NAML