[Qgis-user] qgis_app.dll is missing (QGIS 2.12)

Jochen Albrecht jochen.albrecht at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 11:22:29 PST 2015

I am getting an odd error on my 64-bit Win 8 machine trying to run
QGIS 2.12. Nothing happens when I try to run is as a regular user.
When I run it with administration privileges I get a Windows error
"*The program can't start because qgis_app.dll is missing from your
computer*". It is indeed missing - but this does not prevent the same
program from running on my Windows 7 machine.
I then just copied the whole QGIS Lyon folder from the working
computer to the Win 8 one - and am still getting the same error.
I am sure it has to do with some other software (latest PostGIS for
instance?) being installed on my Win 8 machine but the error message
is too obtuse for me to have a clue what I could/should do next to
remove the obstacle. I did checked the environment variables and
manually ran every line of the batch files.
Cheers,
     Jochen