[Qgis-user] Problem managing data

Brent Wood pcreso at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 28 10:00:49 PST 2015

Hi Eva,
If you want to be able to work with the data as if it was a spreadsheet using Excel, rather than actually create a spreadsheet, it is possible.

You can open the dbf in Excel as an ODBC data source (don't import to a spreadsheet copy of the dbf). This does NOT create a spreadsheet file with the data, but directly opens the dbf in Excel.
And of course you can open the shapefile in QGIS.
Both approaches should allow you to view & edit the content, but I'm not sure if you can open & edit concurrently in both tools.
A more robust approach would be to use Postgis instead of the shapefile, and do the same thing - open the Postgis table via ODBC in Excel & directly in QGIS. The underlying database provides a multi-user & concurrent user control/capability that a shapefile cannot.

Also note that if you are using point features (a bit trickier with lines/polygons but still feasible as WKT columns) you can use a csv file instead of a spreadsheet, & open that in both QGIS & Excel.

Note that Excel is a single user application, so assumes that it has total control of the data source - which it does not in such cases - so you may need to close & reopen Excel to view changes made to the data by tools other than Excel. A ODBC link is likely to be the best way to get around this.

Cheers
Brent Wood