[Qgis-user] Finding the right PRJ file or CRS for my data?

Bob DuCharme bob at snee.com
Sat Jul 11 10:15:17 PDT 2015

To summarize, when I use QGIS to add a layer with some points on it to a
layer with a map, they don't show up in the right place. I'm new at GIS
work (but enjoying QGIS!)

I got shapefile tl_2014_us_state.zip from
https://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/geo/shapefiles2014/main and loaded it
into QGIS. Next, I used https://code.google.com/p/csv2shp/ to convert
the following CSV file to an ESRI shapefile:

"lat","long","name"
40.712700,-74.005898,New York City
34.049999,-118.250000,Los Angeles

it creates all the necessary files except for the PRJ file. I tried
copying the PRJ file from shapefile tl_2014_us_state for the generated
data and loaded that layer, and I see dots for the two cities, but far,
far away from the US, and one of the dots looks north of the other
instead of east of it.

Here is that PRJ file. I'm guessing that I should be using a different
Coordinate Reference System, but I have no idea which and how to specify it:

GEOGCS["GCS_North_American_1983",DATUM["D_North_American_1983",SPHEROID["GRS_1980",6378137,298.257222101]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]]

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob