[Qgis-user] Ubuntu-unstable: New gdal and no QGIS 2.8.2

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Wed May 13 09:20:12 PDT 2015

Hi Bernd,

On Wed, 13. May 2015 at 15:31:35 +0200, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
> ? Complete confusion. Sorry, didn't read the text carefully, cause in the
> past it was very misleading and it still somehow is (switching from example
> for Debian to example for Ubuntu, so its not really clear that you now need
> the http://qgis.org/debian deb AND the unstable ppa for Ubuntu, while before
> it just worked with the ppa alone.)

http://qgis.org/debian contains packages without dependencies to ubuntugis (but
also includes packages for ubuntu).

http://qgis.org/ubuntugis contains the packages that are built against stuff in
ubuntugis and therefore need the ubuntugis ppa.

I wouldn't advise to mix http://qgis.org/debian with the ubuntugis ppa.  It
might work now, but it might also break at some point.

If you want newer versions of the dependencies use http://qgis.org/ubuntugis
with the ubuntugis ppa.

If you want to keep the number of "foreign" packages low or fear to break other
installed stuff that depends on things that would be replaced by ubuntugis,
install from http://qgis.org/debian and keep ubuntugis out of the picture.

> And, if it is proposed to use the ubuntugis ppa, what is the deb
> http://qgis.org/ubuntugis good for then?

Just to provide the dependencies.  The qgis packages in ubuntugis are 2.8.1 and
are superceeded by what is in our repository.

We have several repositories now that are feed by the same process that
produces packages of the release branches and master for several distributions
and the ubuntu package also in two flavors w/ and w/o ubuntugis dependencies.

For the release branches there are also nightly builds (like for master) with
the latest backported fixes, that didn't see a point release yet.  And the
ubuntu packages there also have the two flavors.

Currently there is only one release branch - because the ltr branch is still
also our latest release.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode