[Qgis-user] OSGeo4W's QGIS Web Server install problem. “Not Found ... qgis_mapserv.fcgi”

Dennis McKay denniskmckay at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 13:04:36 PDT 2015

Andreas,

I am happy to contribute to the Windows documentation.  I can list the
actions that were not successful for me.  Some of these things helped other
people so I am keeping quiet until I can figure out truly what I am not
doing right.

I have already taken to heart the 4 simple steps you mention.  I am stuck on
step 2.  My browser still cannot "find" qgis_mapserv.fcgi.

While waiting for some help on this, I downloaded QGIS 2.4.1 for my OS-X
Yosemite.  Apache setup was a breeze because Apache 2.4 is part of the OS.
I got the browser to process a php script with a simple change to
httpd.conf.  The Mac binaries for QGIS install easily and
qgis-mapserver.conf is where it should be.

To test QGIS Web Server I entered on in the browser:

http://localhost/Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/fcgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

The response is:
"Not Found    The requested URL
/Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/fcgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi was not
found on this server."

This is essentially the same message as I get on the Windows environment.
This file is exactly where it is supposed to be, so why can't it be found?
I found another file in the Mac install called mapserv.fcgi and my browser
cannot find that either.

I suspect it won't take much to get past this log jam and I can get back to
my regular research which will be my true contribution to the open source
GIS world.  I think having a copy of httpd.conf and the qgis .conf file that
is working in Win7 or Mac OS would help tremendously in narrowing down my
problem, but I am not sure.  Maybe there is some switch I need to flip
somewhere else.

I am welcoming any help on this.

Dennis