[Qgis-user] VIIRS geolocation data

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Fri May 15 11:48:30 PDT 2015

Hi Mitch,

you should better include the whole list in your reply, so that others
can benefit (or help).

If you want to run gdal commands in a QGIS installation, you have to run
the OSGE4W shell, then enter commands inside the shell.

This looks quite old-fashioned, and you need to remember old
DOS-commands to navigate between folders, but otherwise the environment
for GDAL is not setup correctly.

Am 11.05.2015 um 21:56 schrieb Dr. Mitchell Andrew Schull:
> Andre,
>
> My gdal doesn’t recognize VIIRS datasets now!  Its odd because gdal
> works perfectly in qGIS.  Any idea why all the gdal capability is not
> available in qGIS?  I could just do it in the customized gdal scripts
> in gdal_transform but it doesn’t allow me.
>
> Mitch
>
>> On May 9, 2015, at 6:54 AM, Andre Joost
>> <andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 09.05.2015 um 02:38 schrieb Noli Sicad:
>>> http://www.nsof.class.noaa.gov/saa/products/search?datatype_family=VIIRS

Is this raster data?

>>> I think you have georeferenced it.
>>>
>>> http://www.digital-geography.com/qgis-tutorial-i-how-to-georeference-a-map/#.VU1W52a23FQ

It is not that easy. The data is raw data from a satellite flight. The
HDF contains several subdatasets, including longitude and latitudes of
every cell. Unfortunately, the cell coordinates are not equally spaced,
and there is no CRS given.

>> The best result I get is transforming the longitude, latitude and
>> aerosol subdatasets with gdal_transform to XYZ format, then stitch
>> them together with LibreOffice Calc, and import them as delimited
>> text.
>>
>> It is possible to extract single bands with gdalwarp. This seems to
>> work, but the GCP information inside the file is wrong. Longitudes
>> are added by 180°, and the last line of GCP matches 0/0 to 0/0,
>> which makes no sense to me.
>>
>> Reading the data with python code inside a plugin might be an
>> alternative.
>>
>> Greetings, André Joost

Gruß,
André Joost