[Qgis-user] QGIS 2.8.2 no values calculating area with Export/Add Geometry Columns on Ellipsoid

ralfwessels gis at ralf-wessels.de
Sun May 31 03:56:24 PDT 2015

SBL wrote
> Hi,
>
> seems to be related to this one:
> https://hub.qgis.org/issues/12057
> (see esp. note 18)
>
> Cheers
> Stefan

Hi,
thanks for that hint.
Could be that 'my' problem is related to the other problems "calculating the
correct area in QGIS".
The 'right way' to calculate areas in QGIS seems to be a never ending story
as I can remember bugs and errors in earlier versions, too.
I know calculating areas in GIS is a complex topic, because different
parameters can affect the result.
But - as area calculating is probably one of the mostly used functions in
QGIS - it should be possible to create a stable, easy and user-friendly
solution.
I'm a GIS trainer and as long QGIS has problems with this function I will
recommend my students to use PostGIS (ST_Area...) to calculate areas they
can trust.

best greetings from Berlin
Ralf